STORY AND PHOTOS by Derek Carlisle
FRESH FROM THE SKILLET
The Outbound Collective recently hosted Pursuit at Snowbasin, a weekend of camping out, rock climbing, water play, mastering outdoor skills and relaxing by the campfire—in other words, summer camp for adults.
A perennial favorite activity among attendees is outdoor cooking, with lessons at this gathering provided by Emily Nielson, Aimee Trudeau and Mai-Yan Kwan, authors of cookbook Dirty Gourmet: Food for Your Outdoor Adventures. The camping cooks shared a tasty recipe for strawberry donuts cooked hot on the griddle. Here’s how to enjoy this tasty treat in the Great Outdoors.
• In a large ziplock bag (or bowl with a lid), combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
• In a small pot over low heat, warm the milk, water, and butter until the butter is melted.
• Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cool until it’s lukewarm.
• Add the flour and yeast mixture to milk mixture, and stir well to combine, making a soft dough.
• Cover the mixture with plastic wrap or a lid, and let rise either overnight in your cooler or for about an hour in a warm place, until the dough is nearly doubled in size.
• Transfer the dough to a clean work surface and dust it with flour. (A silicone baking mat works well or tape some parchment paper to a camp table.)
• Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick.
• With a biscuit cutter or drinking glass, cut rounds and set them aside onto your work surface.
• Sprinkle the tops and bottoms of the rounds with cornmeal and cover them with a clean towel. Let rise for about 30 minutes.
• While the dough is rising, make the jam. In a skillet or a medium pot set over medium heat, add the berries and sugar.
• Mash the berries with a wooden spoon or a fork, until the berries soften and release their juices, about 5 minutes.
• Stir in the lemon juice, chia seeds and salt.
• Remove from heat and let stand.
• Once donuts have risen, grease a griddle and heat over medium heat.
• Cook the donuts on the griddle for about 5 minutes per side, or until they’re lightly browned and cooked.
STANLEY PRODUCTS USED
Basecamp Cookset, Adventure Crock,
Adventure Bowls found at Stanley-pmi.com
For more information about these chefs, visit DirtyGourmet.com or
Pursuit Series at Pursuit.TheOutbound.com
For ease and convenience, use a can of Pillsbury biscuit dough and pinch off pieces into the oil
3 cups bread flour, plus more
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
¾ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cornmeal
Strawberry Skillet Jam
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 pinch of kosher salt